Do you know the history of cloud computing and the trends that shaped it? The timelines are from my book the Great Cloud Migration and show all the key events in the history of cloud computing. Understanding the history is important to understanding the major influencing factors and forces that shape the current landscape.
Here is a summary of the events:
* 1961 – Professor John McCarthy propose computing be organized as a “public utility”.
* 1964 – IBM CP-40 Operating Systems uses Virtualization
* 1972 – IBM VM/370 is a virtual machine operating system
* 1991 – The World Wide Web popularizes the internet
* 1997 – First use of the term “Cloud Computing”
* 1999 – Salesforce.com and VMWare launch
* 2002 – Amazon Web Services (AWS) launches and SOA emerges
* 2003 – Seminal Google File System (GFS) paper published
* 2005 – Google Maps is a watershed event for browser-based apps (introduces AJAX).
* 2006 – Hadoop launched, shortly followed by Amazon S3 and Amazon EC2
* 2008 – Google App Engine launches
* 2009 – Microsoft Azure launches
* 2010 – GSA’s apps.gov launches (and federal Cloud-first policy).